Funding Agency: Government Of Nepal
Client: Rani Jamara Kulariya Irrigation Project, Department of Irrigation
Date: June 2018- Sep 2018
The main objective of the assignment is to undertake census survey for 36,000 households of 14,300 Ha command area of Rani Jamara Kulariya Irrigation Project including Lamki Branch to prepare a reliable and accurate data base for phase II.
The scope of the work area are as follows:
- Social and natural mapping of the project area.
- Socio-demographic data of the households; population land ownership, landholding, and livelihood, in the command area.
- Agricultural practices, investment and the agricultural production and production value in the command area.
- Project impact on Public and private Property, livelihood, local people, and cultural and archaeological sites.
- Canal operation and maintenance modality and contribution of WUA and general beneficiaries.
- Level of irrigation service received by the general farmers from the service provides and their perception toward the functions of water user’s association
Actual services provided by the firm within the assignment:
TMS as a consultant carried out this assignment adopting methodological approaches. For this purpose, census survey of the households of the command areas is carried out. The data and information are gathered from the primary sources. The primary data are collected by a team of experts and locally hired enumerators through a well-structured set of questionnaire.
The actual services provided by the consultant are:
1. Literature Review:
- Review available and appropriate project documents including household survey report prepared during phase I and phase II.
2. Participatory Rural Appraisal (PRA):
- Carry out detailed social mapping of the command areas to understand the local conditions PRA methods and GIS mapping.
- Conduct different types of thematic mapping during the study period especially settlement pattern (cultural, religious and public properties, land use practices, seasonal calendar, agricultural calendar, social mobility mapping).
3. Census Survey:
- Detailed study of household in four branches areas namely Rani, Kulariya and Lamki under the RJKIP are undertaken.
- Detailed study of demographic characteristics of the affected households, legal stats on land (landowner, holder of land rights, tenant, and illegal squatter), landholding size, and ownership on physical structure and its types, livestock, livelihood pattern, income and expenditure of households, possibility of physical displacement and economic losses.
4. Focused Group Discussion and Stakeholder Consultation:
- Organized a Focused Group Discussion (FGD) and consultation meetings with stakeholders as required; Water User Association (WUA), Badghar, women groups, Farmers Groups (FGs), Key social group and stakeholders.
5. Data Analysis and Report Preparation:
- Analyzed gathered information and data using appropriate quantitative as well as qualitative tools in order to make household report more scientific and presentable.