Consulting Services for Project Implementation Consultant (PIC) Promotion of Solar Energy in Rural and Semi-Urban Regions of Nepal
Funding Agency: Asian Development Bank
Client: Alternative Energy Program Committee (AEPC)
Date: Feb 2022 – Feb 2025
- The purpose of the project is to increase the supply of solar electricity and reduce CO2 emissions through investments in on-grid (solar roof systems) and off-grid (solar irrigation pumps, solar mini-grids) Photovoltaic (PV) systems.
- The project consists of three components as follows:
- The first component comprises investment support for the on-grid roof system.
- The second component comprises investment support for off-grid solar irrigation pumps for agriculture users and solar mini–grid for remote communities.
- The third project component focuses on strengthening project implementation capacities at national and local levels, complementing the investments under components 1 and 2.
- The PCI will support AEPC during the implementation, more specifically for the following aspects: is expected to deliver the Services for:
- Phase 1: Inception Phase (Project Planning Support)
- Elaborating the financing Modalities- During the inception Phase the services will be focused on the Initial assessment of financial aspects and the establishment of standardized financial modalities for each Technical Component.
- Elaborating an environmental and social management framework (ESMF) including a stakeholder Engagement framework (SEF) for each type of PV system
- general overview of the risks without site-specific details of each subproject;
- guidance on the E&S risk management for each subproject;
- outline the standards, guidelines and procedures to address the E & S impact associated with implementing each subproject.
iii. Definition of the eligibility criteria – update eligibility criteria in close cooperation with AEPC and in consultation with other relevant international development partners such as GIZ, DFID, ADB in order to get a return of experience on the already implemented project.
iv. Elaboration of the tender/subsidy distribution process – Prepare a template of bidding Document for each technical Component and procurement plan
v. Development of a standard operation and maintenance (O&M) concept
vi. Preparation of implementation phase
2. Phase 2: Project Implementation Support
I. Support during sub-project identification and feasibility
II. Support during the procurement process.
III. Supervision during installation/construction.
IV. Monitoring during the operating phase (sampling approach).
3. Phase 3: Monitoring, Fund Management, Training and Reporting
I. Development of a monitoring system
II. Subsidy Fund Management and Reporting
III. Capacity Building (Project Component 3).