Consulting Services for Project Management Consultancy (PMC) Melamchi Water Supply Project
Funding Agency: Asian Development Bank
Client: Melamchi Water Supply Development Board
Date: Jul 2012 – Jul 2013
The Melamchi Water Supply Project (MWSP) is considered to be the most viable long-term alternative to ease the chronic water shortage situation within the Kathmandu Valley. The Project was designed to divert about 170 MLD of fresh water to Kathmandu Valley from the Melamchi River in Sindhupalchowk district through 26.5 km tunnel, to construct about 43 km of access roads and upgrad 29 km of road to assist the construction of the Project facilities and their maintenance, construction of a water treatment plant with an initial capacity of at least 170 MLD and expandable to about 510 MLD to treat the Melamchi River Water; and Development and implementation of a social upliftment program, including – a) buffer zone development, b) rural electrification, c) health, d) education, and e) income generation/community development.
The objectives of the new Project Management Consultancy (PMC) were, with respect to the Sub-Project 1, the Melamchi Valley Sub-Project:
i) To provide strategic project management skills thereby ensuring the maintenance of efficient implementation management systems
ii) To ensure timely and high quality implementation management performance and successful conclusion of the sub-project by providing effective risk, time and cost management advice; and
iii) To provide technical advisory and capacity building services to MWSDB and associate stakeholders of the sub-project.
Overall Services provided by firm:
PMC provided technical assistance to issues raised in project implementation as and when required.
Lahmeyer International GmbH, Germany in association with Total Management Services, Nepal worked together for the overall project management. General scope of PMC included strategic decision making, implementation and management of project performance, risk management, cost control and scheduling but not limited to following activities:
- Contract Management – PMC supported to manage overall procurement plan including bidding, evaluation and selection/award.
- Financial Management – Assisted MWSDB in monitoring and maintenance of all administrative and financial systems and procedures needed to enable the MWSDB to ensure the effective coordination and implementation to the project services as an internationally accepted standard in the real time financial management using modern technologies and practices. In addition, PMC provided training and capacity building to Board’s staff in keeping up-date-financial records and maintain real time database of contracts, disbursements, payments and advances.
- Information Management – PMC assisted MWSDB to maintain appropriate management information systems that provide real time and appropriate quality information to managers, implementers and stakeholders. These included design and recommended the Board to establish systems to collect, compile, update and analyze the baseline data and real time management information system (MIS), Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and IT systems and assisted in its institutionalization.
- Interfaces and Coordination – Advised and assisted MVWDSP in taking overall responsibility for managing and coordinating the interfaces between Kathmandu based office and Melamchi field office. Facilitated close communication and coordination among various consultants
- Training – Analyzed skill gaps and plan, initiated and delivered training required to assist the Board and its staffs as and when required.
- Social and Environmental – Supported MWSDB in monitoring of project performance and inputs of social development program’s consultants. Helped the board in maintaining and updating strategies and plans for social and environmental safeguards.